Many people had reported that they are unable to uninstall the McAfee after they have used it for the trial period, or after using when it came pre-installed with their new laptop.
This type of problem is common with security programs, and it is not much alarming. However, it is necessary to uninstall McAfee entirely before installing any other security program on your system to avoid the conflicts.
If you are one of those people who are undergoing this problem, then this guide is just for you.
In this guide, we would discuss some methods that can help you to uninstall the McAfee security solution from your system completely.
Uninstall using Windows Settings
The easiest method to get rid of McAfee is using Windows inbuilt settings.
- Open Settings
Open Settings by clicking on the Windows icon and selecting settings icon from the menu or search for settings in the search bar.
- Go to Apps
In the settings window, look for the Apps and click on it.
- Search For McAfee
In the list of apps, search for McAfee
- You will find numerous apps related to McAfee
- Click Uninstall
Uninstall each of them one by one by clicking on them and selecting Uninstall.
- Click Allow
After you click on Uninstall, Windows will ask your permission to uninstall the application. When you allow it, you would be taken to McAfee uninstaller, the same interface that installed it.
Uninstall using McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool
If you are unable to uninstall the McAfee through Windows settings, then you can try McAfee’s official removal tool known as McAfee Consumer Product Removal or MCPR tool.
1. Download the latest version of MCPR from the official site of McAfee.
2. Run it after it gets downloaded, you will notice it does not require installation.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the uninstallation process to complete. It will take some time, depending on the processing speed of the system.
4. Once done, the McAfee programs on your system should have gone. If you like to get more information, click on ‘View Logs.’
Uninstalling McAfee on a Mac
Usually, it is quite easy to remove applications from macOS. However, things are different with McAfee. It is complicated to remove it even on Mac since it does not get uninstalled in the usual way. Here are the steps to do that:
1. Check whether you are signed in with the Administrator account or not. Of not, then do that.
2. Open the Applications and click on Utilities Folder. Look for the Terminal and open it.
3. Now you have to enter a command to uninstall the McAfee from the device. However, the command depends on the version of McAfee you are using. For instance, for McAfee version 4.8 or earlier enter following command:
And for McAfee version 5.0 and later use the following command:
After entering the command according to your version of McAfee, hit Enter
4. The macOS should remove all the programs and files related to McAfee from your Mac device.
So these are the top solutions to remove McAfee from your device altogether. However, sometimes you may find it difficult to remove it even after using MCPR on Windows and Terminal on Mac. In that case, it is better to get a good uninstaller to remove McAfee.
Furthermore, we understand that there might be several reasons that have prompted you to get rid of McAfee, but securing your computer is also essential. If you are not satisfied with McAfee, then there are many more alternative security program options you can go for. Windows Defender is good, but getting a proper antimalware would be more beneficial.