Are you facing a problem with your web browser that constantly redirects to a dubious website? Then, there are chances that are your PC is affected by browser redirect virus.
Yes, the browser redirect virus is also known as browser hijacker. It targets Google and other search engines to redirect the user to fake and other infected websites.
Most of the times, the redirected pages are bundled with a lot of advertisements. These ads usually persuade the users to pay something or give away their bank account details. Yes, they are certainly the browser hijacker. The primary function of these browser hijackers is to track the users’ activities and hack their data. Thus, the browser redirect virus is quite dangerous.
So, we suggest you remove the Redirect Virus in PC if in case it is infected by any. Follow the steps presented below to get rid of the Browser Redirect virus.
Choose Method to Get Rid of Annoying Ads and Redirects using any one of the Method.
What is Browser Redirect Virus?
It is an adware program that has already found a way to your PC, through something you’ve downloaded or installed. You can categorize it as Potentially Unwanted Program.
Malware developers have been using this technique for so long, to generate traffic to their sites, gather search terms, and nevertheless, to redirect users to some awful websites, for which they’ll receive a commission or some revenue.
The browser hijacker alters the search and error pages of a browser to redirect the users to other sites. So, for security reasons we’ve to get rid of every unambiguous browser hijacker virus in our PC.
Threats Posed by Browser Hijackers
Browser hijacker virus usually interpolates a few changes on the PC, such as altering the default search page of the browser; providing many links to ad web pages; changing the default home page of the browsers; and even obstructing any popular online resources.
In addition to this, the browser hijacker virus exhibits frequent errors and some instability issues in the browsers. Sometimes, it shocks a concerned user by setting up adult websites, as the default home page.
As you all know, the frustration of browser redirect virus is that it attempts to redirect to fake websites. Their URL might be like,
But, these URLs are just some of the indications that your browsers are caught-up with the browser redirect virus. At that instance, doesn’t share any personal information, until you clean web browser.
How to Remove Redirect Virus from your PC?
Method-1: Check your Host Files for Malicious Entries
A host file is a text file. It usually holds IP addresses, followed by one or more host names; or fully qualified domain names. The primary role of this file is, mapping the hostnames to their respective IP addresses; so you can browse the internet through them. If malware enters into the system, it will block some websites, and you won’t be able to surf it anymore. So, check this file and remove the unwanted malicious entries sites.
Before editing the host files, follow the pre-requisites. Once done with these two safety tricks, then follow these below steps.
- Keep in mind, for editing the host files, first your account has Administrator privileges as the only administrator can modify this file. Secondly, disable your antivirus software temporarily.
Steps to delete Host files
- You can see this file by navigating to the path “C:WindowsSystem32Driveretc”, copy the host file to your desktop.
- Then, open this in Notepad (right click the file select open with->Notepad).
- From the notepad there is a list of numerous URL, now delete the entry of new URL that you have to unblock. Once done, hit ctrl + S to save the changes.
Method-2: Check Domain Name Server Settings
If you persist your system with redirect virus, then the most efficient way to fix it will completely wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS. But, it is not an easy task as it takes few hours. Instead of this, just check whether your home router has correct DNS settings from your ISP. Here come the detailed steps on how to do this.
- Open the “Control panel” and click on the “Network and internet” and then select “Network and Sharing Center.”
- Once get into this window, click on “Change adapter settings" on the left pane. Now, select your “local network” and right click it. You’ll find numerous options, select “Properties” from it.
- A local area connection window will open, then select “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” and click “Properties” from that window.
- In Internet Protocol Window, select “Obtain an IP address automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address automatically.” Click “OK” to save those changes.
Method-3: Check Browser Add-Ons and Reset the Search Settings
Add-ons can cause the browser to run slowly, or they might pose a security or compatibility risk. It’s a good idea to delete add-ons to increase your browser speed; remove unwanted pop-up ads and browser hijacker. Go to the browser settings and select manage add-ons (in Internet Explorer) or More Tools-> Extension (in Chrome and Firefox) to disable the unwanted add-ons. Once deleted, just reset your browser settings to get back the original browser.
Method-4: Change your Proxy Settings
- Open the Internet Explorer and select “Tools” and then the “Internet options.” Once the window appeared, select “Connection” tab and press “LAN settings” button from the below.
- From the LAN settings page, unselect all the parameters given in the settings page. And finally, press “OK” to save the changes.
- Open Firefox browser, click “menu” icon (three horizontal lines) in the right corner of the window and select “Option” from the menu.
- Now select “Advanced” option in the left pane. In this screen, you will see some menus click “Network” from it. From the Network window select “Settings.”
- From the connection setting window, tap on the “No Proxy” and click “Ok”.
- Open the Chrome browser, select “Chrome menu” and then “settings.” Now you’ll see the three horizontal lines in top left corner, just click it.
- From there select and drag down the “Advanced” option and then “System.” In system window, click “Open proxy settings.” It will open the Internet Properties window, click on the “LAN settings” from it.
- In these settings check whether the “Automatic Detect Settings” and “Use Proxy server for your LAN” options are unchecked. If it is not yet, proceed with this step and click “OK.”
Method-5: Automatically Remove Redirect Virus with MalwareFox
The above manual process is tedious to follow. You may get lost or if you not follow the steps cautiously you can harm your PC in other ways. Here I am telling you an automatic method to remove browser hijackers or redirect virus from your computer completely. MalwareFox is an antimalware that protects you from all kinds of malware including redirect viruses.
You can download and try this anti malware for free. It scans all the files in your PC along with the browser settings and extensions. If it finds any malicious extension or any virus that is causing redirect in your browsers MalwareFox will remove them completely.
MalwareFox in Action
Final Wrapping up
Finally, after following all the above steps, your browser removes the redirect virus in Windows 10. The steps above won’t crash your system, but to be safe better to take backup of the important files.