FileRepMalware is a malicious file that can harm your computer in many ways. It is not a specific malware; rather, it can be of various functionalities like Adware, Trojan, and other PUPs. Sometimes it can be completely harmless and just display ads and pop-ups. During other times it can be the gateway to ransomware.
Generally, FileRepMalware is categorize under detection name Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]. The initials of the detection, i.e., Win32, indicate that this cyber threat is limited to just Windows computer, and Mac OS systems are free of it. At the same time, the ending Evo-gen indicates a generic classification.
The file through which FileRepMalware is spread is KMSPico, which is the third-party activation tool for Windows and its application. Since the detection name is generic, FileRepMalware can be a trojan or any other dangerous malware. It is considered as a PUP because many commercial advertising started to appear on your system after its infection.
How did FileRepMalware end up on my computer?
There are various ways through which FileRepMalware can get an entry on your device. The most common methods are:
- When a user clicks on an infected pop-up ad, the malware such as FileRepMalware gets installed stealthily.
- It can also gain entry through a bundled software program.
- The email attachments from an unknown source can also be a FileRepMalware carrier.
- Peer to peer File Sharing networks such as Torrents are also responsible for FileRepMalware infection.
- Fake updates and external media are another two common medium.
How to Remove FileRepMalware?
If FileRepMalware has taken over your system, you can get rid of it using following steps:
Step 1: Restart your PC in Safe Mode
Windows Safe Mode is the perfect environment to find out and solve the critical errors in the system. In safe mode, only system programs and some crucial programs run. Safe mode would most likely kill the applications and its files that try to run automatically on your system. Follow this guide to boot your Windows 10 PC in the Safe Mode.
Step 2: Uninstall Suspicious Applications
If FileRepMalware is still there on your PC, try to find the culprit application and uninstall it.
Right-click on the taskbar and select the Task Manager.
Watch out for the applications that are consuming the system memory even though you did not install or launch them.
Right-click on the suspicious application and open its file location.
Delete the file from its root location.
Open Control Panel and click on Uninstall a program and check for suspicious apps. One by one, select and uninstall them.
Step 3: Delete Temporary Files
The temporary files folder can also be a carrier of malicious files. Thus, we recommend deleting all the temporary files and folders regularly for the smooth running of the system. Removing the temporary files would also clear the unnecessary clutter from your system and free-up the valuable space.
Here are the steps to eliminate thre temporary files:
- Open the Run command window.
- Type %temp% and hit the enter key.
- This run command would navigate you to this path: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp, that is, the temp folder.
- Select all Files and Folders of this folder and delete them. Don’t hesitate to delete them, as they are not essential for any of your tasks.
- Next right-click on the Recycle Bin and select Empty Recycle Bin.
Step 4: Reset Web Browser Settings
If your browser is misbehaving because of FileRepMalware, then reset its settings to default.
- Open Chrome and navigate to Settings by clicking on the three-dots at the top right.
- Click on advanced Advanced.
- Under Reset and cleanup, click on “Restore settings to their original defaults.”
- Select Reset settings on the next prompt.
- Relaunch your browser.
Step 5: Install an Antimalware and Perform a Scan
Manually removing malware can be a tedious task, and it takes a lot of time and effort on our part. Sometimes, it may get irritated for you if you are not much into the technology. There is no need to worry; you can get a robust antimalware like MalwareFox that will scan for malware and remove it.
MalwareFox is a reliable security software that promises to protect your system and helps to handle malware and viruses. MalwareFox will scans, detect, and remove Malware and offers real-time protection. It also protects your PC from most dangerous malware such as Ransomware, Zero-Day Attack protection, Grayware, Keyloggers, etc.
- Download Malwarefox and install it.
- Perform a full system scan to get rid of every malware that is troubling your system.
Win32:Trojan-gen is a heuristic detection designed to detect a Trojan Horse generically.
YES, keygens are illegal because they are mostly used for cracking the official paid software for free.
KMSPico is identified as malware because it replaces the original key with the volume licensed key and creates an emulated instance of KMS server locally avoiding online activation. So your Windows system can’t connect to an online server and continues to work with that replaced license key thinking it as the original key.