Google announced in 2017 that Android has more than 2 billion monthly active users. According to several market share reports, the number of Android users is still rising. The total number of smartphone users in 2020 is expected to surpass the amount of 3.5 billion.
This popularity is also attracting cyber-criminals to this platform. According to the G Data Security Blog report, Android malware rose by 40% in 2018. They have found more than 3.2 Million malicious apps in the year. The number fluctuates every year, depending on the security loopholes a particular android version has.
This information might keep you awake at night. Most of the users keep sensitive and confidential information on their smartphones. On a broader scale, the data on your phone is much valuable than that on the computer.
Still, we often tend to neglect the device security associated with smartphones. To tackle the problem, here is a list of best android antivirus for 2020.
Top 10 Android Antivirus in 2020
Below is the list of best Android antivirus in the year 2020. Choose one which suits best to your needs.
⭐ MalwareFox Antimalware
MalwareFox is a lightweight antimalware for Android devices. It works on the heuristic approach to detecting malicious apps from your phone. This app prevents malware, spyware, and phishing attacks. MalwareFox lacks fancy features, but it does the job of protecting your device from malware perfectly .
Key Features of MalwareFox Antimalware
- Quick Scan – Quickly scans the apps and files on your phone for possible infection.
- Real-Time Protection – Blocks malware from entering your phone.
- Enhanced Protection – Stops spyware, keyloggers, and Potentially Unwanted Apps (PUA).
Avast Antivirus for Android is a feature-rich app that has several useful functions. It protects you against a variety of malware and viruses. Avast would instantly alert you when you install spyware infected apps on your device. It also protects you against phishing emails, SMS, phone calls, and other infected websites. The antitheft feature allows you to remotely wipe and lock your device in case someone steals it.
There is also some impressive performance improving features, including a junk cleaner to free up storage space and a ‘RAM boost’, which intends to speed up your device.
Previously, the app uses to be paid, but now it comes free of cost. However, you would have to deal with continuous ads if you want the service at no charge. You can also opt for the paid version to get rid of them. Additionally, the paid version also provides an app lock that asks you to input a pin before opening any app. The feature comes handy if malware tries to open sensitive applications like a banking app.
Key Features of Avast Antivirus for Android
- VPN – helps you to hide your online activities from the information hunting services.
- Camera Trap – It captures the audio and clicks the picture in case your phone gets stolen.
- SIM Security – Alerts you in case someone changes the SIM in your device.
- Last Known Location – Helps you to locate your device.
Bitdefender Mobile Security
Bitdefender Mobile Security offers supreme protection against complete spread malware and viruses. It smacks a 99.99% protection score on independent antivirus tests such as AV-Test.org.
The app provides you real-time protection on the Chrome web browser. Additionally, there is an autopilot feature that suggests favorable security actions according to your usage pattern. One part I liked the most is the privacy advisor tool that adds a layer of security using the wear on. It will alert you if you leave your phone behind or someone steals it.
Some more noteworthy features include the bundled VPN. However, it only allows you to browse 200 MB data per day. You also get the antitheft feature enabling you to wipe and lock your device if someone steals it.
The application provides all this stuff at a minimal cost of $1.49 per month. Still, if you aren’t confident about the protection, you can always take a trial run for 14-days.
Key Features of Bitdefender Mobile Security
- VPN – It hides your online identity and also helps to access geo-restricted content.
- Snap Photo – It clicks the picture if someone tries to access your device.
- Smart Unlock – Automatically unlocks apps if you are on a trusted WiFi.
- Account Privacy – It helps you to know if your email account has been breached.
- WearOn – It prevents the lost or stolen of Android wear devices with Phone Alert and Scream.
Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
It is a free tool from the antivirus giant Kaspersky. It scans the apps in your android device and removes the viruses and malware. The free tool has the option of a manual scan. You can hit the scan button when you get suspicious of malware infection.
The program not only provides top-notch security for your phone, but it also contains some premium antitheft capabilities. The app allows you to remotely lock and wipe the data on your device if you lose it. Additionally, you can click a photo of the person currently using the phone from a remote location. The feature can be handy if your device is stolen. The free version also has Call Filter.
Still, you can access premium features with in-app purchases if you think you need more security. It has advanced premium features like Real-Time Protection, App Lock, Anti-Phishing, Internet, and Privacy Protection.
Key Features of Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
- Call Filter – helps you to filter the unwanted spam and telemarketing calls and messages.
- Anti Phishing – protects your financial information from phishing text messages.
- Web Filter – It hides dangerous links and websites when you browse the internet.
- Anti Theft – helps you locate, lock, or wipe your Android device in a lost or stolen case.
Sophos Intercept X for Mobile
Sophos Intercept X for mobile carries some unique features for no cost at all. Interestingly you don’t have to spend money to access advanced features as well. The malware scanner might raise some questions since the independent test didn’t include the product in 2019’s check. However, the app scored full marks in the previous year’s test.
Sophos scans for any malicious app or content for that manner in your device. Moreover, it all alerts you if it finds an app capable of leaking sensitive information. You can manually scan for any malware or schedule scans periodically.
Another unique feature is the QR code scanner. As the name suggests the feature will scan for the target URL in the code and check if it is safe to use. The app also has a two-factor authentication that compliments with the Google Authenticator. You can control all your accounts consisting of the multiple-factor authentication from this central hub.
Other advanced features are Web Filtering, App Protection, Safe Password, WiFi Security, and Privacy Advisor. All these features at no cost might raise a few questions for some users. So, we recommend testing it for yourself or waiting until an independent test assures of its privacy.
Key Features of Sophos Mobile Security
- App Protection – Locks sensitive apps with a password.
- Safe Password – It stores your password in a KeePass compatible database.
- WiFi Security – Assess the security of the WiFi your device is connected.
- Secure QR Scanner – ensures that the URL is not malicious or inappropriate.
Norton Security & Antivirus
Norton Security and Antivirus come in the free and premium version. The free version lets you scan your device against malware, spyware, and viruses. It also has the WiFi Scanning feature that warns you when you connect to a less secured hotspot. There is also an in-app search engine flags the unsafe sites in your search results.
The premium version comes with 30 days trial offer. It has several advanced features such as Web Protection, Ransomware Protection, Anti-Theft, Sneak Peek, and Privacy Report.
One noteworthy feature is its ability to pick out apps that can be harmful to your device. It scans the app for any malicious permission. Additionally, it can also tell you if an app is harsh on your battery. Surprisingly, it can check for all these elements before installing the app.
Key Features of Norton Security & Antivirus
- Anti Theft – Lets you lock, locate, or wipe the device’s data through SMS. Auto locks devices when SIM gets removed or after ten failed attempts to unlock.
- Sneak Peek – Clicks pictures of people using your device in a lost or stolen case.
- Android System Advisor – Scan and lets you know the weak points in the Android OS that can expose you to attacks.
- App Advisor – warns you about the privacy risk, high data & battery usage, or intrusive behavior of an app.
McAfee Mobile Security
McAfee Mobile Security also comes in a free and premium version. Its free version protects you from viruses and also guards you against other threats from the internet. It protects you from unsafe WiFi hotspots. McAfee’s free version also comes with the Anti-Theft and Performance Optimization feature.
While the premium version comes with VPN, Safe Web, App Lock, and Guest Mode. You can get rid of the ads by upgrading to the premium version. However, it is a pricey prospect when compared to others in the competition.
Key Features of McAfee Mobile Security
- WiFi Guard VPN – Protects your privacy and financial details on an open WiFi network.
- Guest Mode – Lets you decide which app can be accessed as a guest.
- Performance Optimization – Boost Memory & Battery, remove unwanted files, and track data usage.
- Thief Cam – Locks device and clicks pictures of users after 3 failed attempts to unlock.
AhnLab V3 Mobile Security
V3 Mobile Security is a strong antivirus solution for your Android device. It has a high detection rate for malware which AV-Test has certified. This antivirus is designed to consume the lowest CPU and Battery. It comes with Privacy Advisor, Cleaner, and Filter options. The antivirus app also boosts the performance of your phone. It also protects your sensitive media through a hidden gallery.
Key Features of AhnLab V3 Mobile Security
- Hidden Gallery – Hides your sensitive pictures and videos.
- Privacy Protection – Deletes cache and advise apps about risks to your privacy.
- Performance – Boost the performance of your phone by optimizing memory.
- Anti Phishing – Detects phishing URLs.
Avira Antivirus Security
Avira Antivirus Security scans, blocks, and removes viruses and malware from your Android device. It has antitheft features that let you locate and track your stolen devices. It also suggests you on privacy if you install a new app. The App Lock lets you lock some confidential apps. It also protects your camera and mic.
Key Features of Avira Antivirus Security
- Camera & Mic Protection – Blocks other applications such as spyware to click pictures or record audio.
- Web Protection – Stops malware-infected websites.
- Anti Theft – Lets you track your lost devices, locks, and remotely wipe the device in a stolen case.
DFNDR Security is an antivirus and anti-hacking tool for Android. It scans your device against viruses and infected apps. An Anti-hacking tool warns you of possible phishing attempts through spam messages. It also has an app lock tool. This app also boosts the performance of your device. It cleans the junk files and cache to free up storage. Not only this, but it also checks the speeds of your internet speed. The antitheft feature takes a picture of an intruder or thief.
Key Features of DFNDR Security
- Identity Theft Report – Informs you in case your email account has been compromised.
- WiFi Checker – test the speed of your internet connection.
- Internet Accelerator – Closes the unwanted apps that are consuming bandwidth.
So, as we have discussed, most of the antivirus apps share similar features. A few rates are higher because of popularity in the users. Some useful apps are still not widespread but provide the ultimate protection for the price. Our pick is MalwareFox antimalware. It is the best antivirus application for android in 2020.