Discord is a popular VoIP chatting application specially designed for gamers so that they can interact with each other while playing games. It also has many more features like the option to screencast, live stream, and add thousands of users to a server. Since its inception in 2015, Discord has gained immense popularity and is used by millions of people.
However, because of such a vast user base, Discord is always in danger of cyberattacks as cybercriminals always look for the medium with large users to spread their malware quickly. The malware programs spread through Discord are commonly known as the Discord Virus. It includes Trojans, Spyware, Adware, and others.
In this post, we would discuss what the Discord Virus is and how to remove it from the system.
What is Discord Virus?
As mentioned, Discord Virus is the general term given to the malware programs exchanged through the legitimate Discord application. Cybercriminals use various techniques to attract Discord users to install malicious programs. They would scam users by providing them fake games, utility software, and others for free to install. All such programs are, in fact, malware carriers.
Many attackers also offer the cracked version of Discord Nitro. Discord Nitro is a premium version of the Discord app that contains more advanced features than the basic version. It is essential to know that the Discord Nitro application cannot be cracked as the premium features are actually provided through the servers and not in-built on the app.
The malware such as Trojan spread through Discord can be pretty devastating. They can not only steal your Discord user ID and password, but also other sensitive details from the system such as banking details, browsing history, and others. Cyberattackers can use all these details for conducting identity theft and other heinous crimes.
How Discord Virus enters your system?
Disord Viruses are spread through the popular Discord servers. After noticing a popular server, the cybercriminals join it and start interacting with other users to gain their trust. After few days, they would begin spamming the server with fake applications, malicious links, or a cracked version of Discord Nitro. Many users download and install those phony programs or click on malicious links in anticipation of getting free applications. In this way, the malware is infiltrated in thousands of systems at once.
What are the symptoms of the Discord Virus attack?
The Discord Virus might be hiding anywhere in the system and sneakingly spying on users or conducting other illicit activities. Since it disguises itself in the name of a legitimate and safe process, it is pretty challenging to detect the Discord Virus. However, the system shows some common symptoms that might confirm the presence of Trojan malware. Here is the list of those indications:
- CPU usage suddenly rises than usual.
- The system lags frequently.
- Your browser is bombarded with malicious pop-ups.
- A random window is opened without the user’s initiation.
- Redirection to untrustworthy or suspicious sites.
How to remove Discord Virus?
If your system is infected with a Discord Virus such as Trojan, Spyware, or Ransomware, it can create havoc in the device. So it becomes essential to get rid of those as soon as possible. Here are some ways to do that.
Restart your PC in Safe Mode
Windows Safe Mode is the perfect environment to find out and solve the critical errors in the system. In safe mode, only system programs and some crucial programs run. Safe mode would most likely kill the applications and its files that try to run automatically on your system. Follow this guide to boot your Windows 10 PC in the Safe Mode.
Uninstall Suspicious Applications
If Discord Virus is still there on your PC, try to find the culprit application and uninstall it.
Right-click on the taskbar and select the Task Manager.
Watch out for the applications that are consuming the system memory even though you did not install or launch them.
Right-click on the suspicious application and open its file location.
Delete the file from its root location.
Open Control Panel and click on Uninstall a program and check for suspicious apps. One by one, select and uninstall them.
Delete Temporary Files
The temporary files folder can also be a carrier of malicious files. Thus, we recommend deleting all the temporary files and folders regularly for the smooth running of the system. Removing the temporary files would also clear the unnecessary clutter from your system and free-up the valuable space.
Here are the steps to eliminate thre temporary files:
- Open the Run command window.
- Type %temp% and hit the enter key.
- This run command would navigate you to this path: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp, that is, the temp folder.
- Select all Files and Folders of this folder and delete them. Don’t hesitate to delete them, as they are not essential for any of your tasks.
- Next right-click on the Recycle Bin and select Empty Recycle Bin.
Reset Web Browser Settings
If your browser is misbehaving because of Discord Virus, then reset its settings to default.
- Open Chrome and navigate to Settings by clicking on the three-dots at the top right.
- Click on advanced Advanced.
- Under Reset and cleanup, click on “Restore settings to their original defaults.”
- Select Reset settings on the next prompt.
- Relaunch your browser.
Install an Antimalware and Perform a Scan
Manually removing malware can be a tedious task, and it takes a lot of time and effort on our part. Sometimes, it may get irritated for you if you are not much into the technology. There is no need to worry; you can get a robust antimalware like MalwareFox that will scan for malware and remove it.
MalwareFox is a reliable security software that promises to protect your system and helps to handle malware and viruses. MalwareFox will scans, detect, and remove Malware and offers real-time protection. It also protects your PC from most dangerous malware such as Ransomware, Zero-Day Attack protection, Grayware, Keyloggers, etc.
- Download Malwarefox and install it.
- Perform a full system scan to get rid of every malware that is troubling your system.
How to Avoid Discord Virus?
In the modern world, as things are getting more and more online, you have to be always mindful to protect your system from malware programs like the Discord Virus.
Here are some tips for maintaining your system:
- Verify before you download anything on Discord
- Never click on the intriguing links on Discord servers.
- Keep installed an allrounder antimalware program and regularly update it.
- Do not go for the suspicious freeware downloads. Freeware programs are one of the primary malware carriers.
- Always stick yourself to secure websites because malware usually chooses unprotected sites to initiate the attack.
- Try to avoid opening an email attachment from an unknown source.
- Do not fall into the trap of intriguing banner ads and pop-ups. Just clicking on them can infect your browser with a browser virus.